Skip to main content

Pregnant: Second Trimester

Sarah finds out in Texas!
The timing of everything worked out well because we hit the 12 week, through-the-first-trimester point, the week we flew back to the states. We figured it would be much more fun to tell all of our family and friends in person, than to face time them. With the news that the cyst had shrunk, we felt much more confident about telling everyone. My summer posts tell those stories, about the announcements and reactions. 
Mary meets the bump :)
Spending the second trimester mostly at home turned out to be wonderful, since that is when I had the most energy and felt my best. It was also good timing for shopping, since we usually do that at home, and my belly was starting to make its appearance. I was able to stock up on most of the clothing and gear I would need for the rest of pregnancy. We did a lot of research and bought a car seat, a stroller, and Maggie gave us a super nice breast pump. Everything is much cheaper and more available in the states. Qatar has some of the big brands but the options are limited and seem to be about double the price. 
Baby bump in Galveston
Overall, I felt pretty great throughout the second trimester. We had our big 20 week ultrasound while we were home, and that was fun. Although, we had to close our eyes for a bit, as to not reveal the gender. At that point, it seemed the cyst was mostly gone, as there was no mention of it. 
Bumps up at Mt. Bachelor
We had a lovely baby shower a few days before we flew out. Destiny hosted it at her newly renovated barn, which was awesome. We celebrated our anniversary in America (for the first time!) and then flew back to Doha the next day. I was nervous about returning to the hospital situation here. I had a couple of good options but was struggling to decide where I wanted to deliver. In Qatar, culturally, men do not go in the delivery rooms at all. It just isn't accepted or wanted or normal. However, luckily for all of us expats, there are a number of private hospitals that allow husbands in the delivery room. Obviously, those were the ones we had to choose between.

Baby Curtis at 20 weeks
Al Ahli is a private hospital that is considered one of the nicest in Qatar. I had my ovarian cyst surgery there, so that is where I naturally went at the beginning of my pregnancy. It is also less than a mile from my house. The doctor who did my surgery only follows C section pregnancies so I had to switch to a new doctor. I found a lady I really liked; She was kind, reassuring, took time with us, friendly, helpful. However, Al Ahli does not do appointments and the waiting to see your doctor process is entirely miserable. I once waited 2.5 hours and never saw anyone and had to leave to get back to work. Anyway, it was a nightmare and I couldn't get past the amount of time I spent sitting there waiting to see someone.

Alise and I in Tacoma
Cuban Hospital is a part of the Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar's premier healthcare provider. Cuban has amazing reviews and I never did find a single person who went there and had a negative experience. I wanted to go there and had planned on delivering there. I went through the first trimester and the tracking of the cyst at Al Ahli, and then home for the summer, with the intention of returning and finishing the pregnancy at Cuban. Once I got back to Qatar, I made the trip to Cuban, and it is quite a trek, let me tell you. Cuban is located across the country, literally on the other side of Qatar, a little over an hour's drive. From work it is even further, at least an hour and a half, and I would have to miss at least a half day of school just to go to an appointment. It is only open for appointments Sunday to Thursday from 8-3pm, exactly when I work. After two trips out there in one week, one for blood work and the next to hear the results, I couldn't justify the drive and missing so much work. It just seemed crazy and a bit unnecessary. I did like my doctor and the nurses and staff were much better than at Al Ahli, but I couldn't wrap my head around driving that much. Not to mention I spent most of the drive imagining doing the drive while in labor. Yikes!

Hammock cuddles camping at Alder Lake
I spent weeks reaching out to anybody who had delivered in Doha, asking questions, seeking advice. Al Ahli and Cuban definitely seemed to be the most popular options. One lady mentioned Doha Clinic and I had come across it online and knew nothing about it, so decided to check it out. Jake and I went on a Wednesday after school just to ask for a tour and find out how to get an appointment. We were delighted when we stopped in the delivery rooms and met some of the nurses. They were sweet, helpful, and I could understand them. They took their time with us, answered questions, and asked if we had a birth plan! You have to understand that in Qatar that is not a question that comes up. This is the only place I have heard of that accepts birth plans. It felt like we wouldn't really have much control over the birthing process at the other hospitals. I was shocked to have someone ask me what I wanted...partially because I wasn't even sure myself! Ha ha. Needless to say, we spent about two hours at the hospital, which included a tour, an appointment with a doctor, an ultrasound, blood tests, and a follow up of the ultra sound with the doctor. This is incredible! What took hours and days and even a week at Al Ahli and Cuban, we accomplished in a couple hours on a school night! And by far the best part was that the doctor, the nurses, and even the receptionists, were kind, friendly, and I understood what they were saying. We were sold in a matter of hours. 

With Auntie Lacey at our shower
Doha Clinic was without a doubt where we wanted to deliver, and I felt such relief, after feeling for months that I would just have to choose between one of the two I didn't feel great about. I didn't meet my actual doctor that day because she was out on leave, but the one I did meet was nice enough, and I kept reading and hearing amazing things about the woman I was hoping to see. So in the last week of our second trimester, we found a hospital to deliver in! Who knew that would bring so much relief? It really did. It helps to know you are going to be cared for by people who value your opinion, listen to you and understand what you're saying, and treat you like a human being. Thank God for Doha Clinic! 

Sibling stuff

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder

Thailand tops the charts in my book when it comes to storms. I am not sure if I've lived in a place with more spectacular storms than here. All the curtains are drawn in my bedroom yet slices of lightening are still breaking through. The thunder just passed directly over me. I check the monitor for fear of it waking Elsie up. Seems like the loud shaking would startle a baby! Not yet, though. I am sure as she gets older, she'll become more aware, and thus more afraid.  Railay Beach, Thailand What is it about pouring rain that is so comforting? I absolutely love it. I am not one to complain about a good rain, although this past weekend I may have once or twice. We took our first Thailand vacation, which happened to be Elsie's first trip to the beach. It rained and rained and continued to rain. For the entire Saturday, it never stopped. Ever. There's only so much you can do in a hotel room, with a baby, for an entire day. So of course we strapped her on Jake's ba...

Correcaminos!

I was pretty excited to find out, on my first morning here, that Lindsey (our host sister) is part of a running team, and she immediately told me where to find a track close by. Before flying here, I really had no idea what to expect of the work-out situation in Costa Rica. I have since discovered that more people exercise outside in this country than anywhere else I have lived! Jake and I have been amazed by the number of cyclists and runners that line the highways, eerily close to the traffic.  Starting line Lindsey told me that she had a race coming up in a few weeks, on that first morning. I was interested but quickly realized that it was on the last day of our 2 week vacation. I did not intend to be in good shape during vacation, so I sadly dismissed the idea. Running a race in another country is interesting to me; a unique way to experience the culture. My first (real) race, I ran in Turkey with Lacey. It was an extremely motivating experience, and I want to continua...

Bali

Who doesn't want to go to Bali? It just sounds idyllic! Jake and I decided to go to Bali for our October vacation. About a month beforehand, evacuations were ordered from the government because Mt. Agung is supposed to erupt at any moment. It was deemed safe as long as you stay outside of this 12 kilometer radius. Still, when we arrived in Ubud, we were quite nervous to see the smoke billowing from the top of Agung, from our pool. It certainly didn't look far enough away to be safe during an eruption. Proximity coupled with the roads in Bali had me a bit worried. I heard they were narrow, terrible roads, but I had to see them to believe it. Incredibly narrow and filled with moving cars, parked cars, motorcycles, carts, animals, pedestrians. It was clear we were not going to get anywhere quickly. Beautiful sunset in the rice fields Okay, okay....all that build up for nothing. It didn't erupt! Yet...but it totally will soon. We were definitely nervous, and probably...