Skip to main content

Pregnant: First Trimester

Before I deliver this baby, which could be any day now, I want to recap the journey of the last nine months. Mostly for my memory, but also to provide a tad bit of insight to people living in Doha who may be frantically searching for information on hospitals, like I was. I'll get to that in the following post.
Jake flipped it over and read it
Let's start back at the beginning of this year, 2016. Jake and I had talked about having our first child while living in Doha for a couple of reasons. Like many other people, we knew that it would mostly be paid for, that it was safe, and so many other expats here seem to think it is a pretty great place to have kids. On top of that, we knew we were approaching 30, and approaching our debt free date, which was our first priority in coming here. We had, and still have, no idea what the healthcare will be like wherever we end up next, so it seemed a pretty reasonable time to get started. Even though for years we've been wondering when we're going to actually want kids, ha ha. It seemed like a far more practical and logical decision than out of sheer desire. We love kids and typically choose to spend our time with any neices or nephews we can find, but we also love our lives and independence and current state (now- prior state). Anyway, we decided we didn't know what would happen anyway (how can you even know if it will work?!), and we were up for it, so I decided to go in for a check up.

That is when we were reminded of how little control we actually have over all of this. At a regular check up, I found out I had quite a big ovarian cyst. Big enough that they wanted to do surgery to remove it as soon as possible. That certainly wasn't what we were expecting! The doctors think it could have had something to do with the Mirena IUD I had in. After seeking out a couple of other opinions I scheduled the surgery and asked them to remove the IUD at the same time. The surgery went well and I wrote a separate post about that. But things got interesting a month later when there was another large cyst...
Positive! 
Before that though, I had been using an app that tracked my cycle but with the recent surgery and IUD removal, you can imagine why it was slightly off. We were hoping to avoid a Christmas day baby, but also had read that people who just recently got off long term birth control (like an IUD) take about three months longer to conceive than others. So anyway, we got pregnant immediately and will be having a Christmas baby! Ha ha...
Seemed like we should take a picture
Again, as much as we think we can control all of this, we really can't. Throughout the process I continually thought of all of the women who have tried to conceive for so long, or who tried not to and still did. It is a huge fear for many women, and I lived it with it for the majority of my life as well. I must say it felt strange being in a place where we were planning for a baby. I grew up thinking it mostly happened as an accident when you weren't ready...ha ha...no need to guess where that came. 
Just trying to see what our kid will look like ;)
On our trip to Cyprus I began to notice tiny symptoms, but most of them were also similar to starting your period so I tried not to read into it. I had this weird thing about not wanting to take a test until I knew. I wanted to know in my body, before relying on a test. So I waited...and Jake kept asking me day after day, "Why don't you just take a test?!" Finally, ha ha... I felt confident enough that I actually told him, while he was nervously wringing his hands before flipping the test over to check, "I'm definitely pregnant- it doesn't matter what the test says. I'm certain!" Jake finally grabbed it and flipped it over. "You're pregnant," he said. And that was that.
Fetus on the left. Huge cyst on the right.
Shortly thereafter we went to get a blood test to confirm it. The doctor wanted to do an ultrasound on top of the blood test. During that ultrasound, all I heard out of the technician was, "large cyst." I said, "Yep, I just had it removed!" Then quickly realized he was in fact, seeing another large cyst on the opposite ovary. That was unsettling. After a few trips to a different hospital and consulting with a couple of doctors, it was determined that although the cyst was large enough to warrant removal by surgery, they wouldn't touch it during the baby's first trimester. These types of cysts apparently shrink during pregnancies. We were pretty nervous for a number of weeks, mostly of the cyst rupturing. I was told no exercising, sex, etc. I was quite bummed about the exercising considering I had been pretty determined to get into good shape for the pregnancy. That was my first big struggle: rest, take it easy, don't overdo it. Not what I wanted to hear.
12 week appointment where baby was jumping around
It seemed this cyst uncertainty lasted for far too long at the time, but at 12 weeks I was lucky enough to go in for an ultrasound and discover the cyst had indeed shrunk. It was still there, but the doctor was not concerned. What a relief! This was the week we planned to begin telling people, as we were flying to the states a few days later. 

As far as how I felt physically, I felt quite lucky that nothing was too terrible in the first trimester. Yes, we were worried about the cyst and the uncertainty that is the first trimester (the miscarriage statistics are shocking!), and yes I was frustrated about not being able to stick to my work out regimen. But overall, I couldn't complain much, after hearing about the hell that is the first trimester for a number of women. I was tired, wanted a lot of carbs, and a bit sore up top, but past that, I generally felt pretty good. I am grateful for that, and for the health of baby Curtis those first 12-13 weeks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder

Thailand tops the charts in my book when it comes to storms. I am not sure if I've lived in a place with more spectacular storms than here. All the curtains are drawn in my bedroom yet slices of lightening are still breaking through. The thunder just passed directly over me. I check the monitor for fear of it waking Elsie up. Seems like the loud shaking would startle a baby! Not yet, though. I am sure as she gets older, she'll become more aware, and thus more afraid.  Railay Beach, Thailand What is it about pouring rain that is so comforting? I absolutely love it. I am not one to complain about a good rain, although this past weekend I may have once or twice. We took our first Thailand vacation, which happened to be Elsie's first trip to the beach. It rained and rained and continued to rain. For the entire Saturday, it never stopped. Ever. There's only so much you can do in a hotel room, with a baby, for an entire day. So of course we strapped her on Jake's ba...

Correcaminos!

I was pretty excited to find out, on my first morning here, that Lindsey (our host sister) is part of a running team, and she immediately told me where to find a track close by. Before flying here, I really had no idea what to expect of the work-out situation in Costa Rica. I have since discovered that more people exercise outside in this country than anywhere else I have lived! Jake and I have been amazed by the number of cyclists and runners that line the highways, eerily close to the traffic.  Starting line Lindsey told me that she had a race coming up in a few weeks, on that first morning. I was interested but quickly realized that it was on the last day of our 2 week vacation. I did not intend to be in good shape during vacation, so I sadly dismissed the idea. Running a race in another country is interesting to me; a unique way to experience the culture. My first (real) race, I ran in Turkey with Lacey. It was an extremely motivating experience, and I want to continua...

Bali

Who doesn't want to go to Bali? It just sounds idyllic! Jake and I decided to go to Bali for our October vacation. About a month beforehand, evacuations were ordered from the government because Mt. Agung is supposed to erupt at any moment. It was deemed safe as long as you stay outside of this 12 kilometer radius. Still, when we arrived in Ubud, we were quite nervous to see the smoke billowing from the top of Agung, from our pool. It certainly didn't look far enough away to be safe during an eruption. Proximity coupled with the roads in Bali had me a bit worried. I heard they were narrow, terrible roads, but I had to see them to believe it. Incredibly narrow and filled with moving cars, parked cars, motorcycles, carts, animals, pedestrians. It was clear we were not going to get anywhere quickly. Beautiful sunset in the rice fields Okay, okay....all that build up for nothing. It didn't erupt! Yet...but it totally will soon. We were definitely nervous, and probably...