Skip to main content

Tamarindo

After we returned from Manuel Antonio, Jake had two solid days to work on his TPA. That meant a lot of reading for me...with an occasional run. I am certainly not complaining! Then we left again for the coast. This time we headed west of San Jose, a bit north of Manuel Antonio, to Tamarindo, which is in Guanacaste. This region seems to be known for its beaches, tourists, and sunsets. 

Tamarindo beach was across the street from our hotel

We had planned on meeting up with Tiffany and her friend Lee once we arrived, but we did not expect to pass them walking on the street the second we pulled into town! They were heading to the beach, so we went and checked into our hotel and joined them. We were hoping for a good sunset but it was very cloudy our first two nights there. Tamarindo was much more developed than Manuel Antonio, full of tourists shops, restaurants, and adventure companies. It even had a church with services every Sunday in English. 

The bar at Tiffany's hotel had a fire show for the 4th!
 We spent the 4th of July in Tamarindo. Our first stop, naturally, was an American bar that was offering a free shot to anyone who wore red, white, and blue, as well as $2 off any hot dog or hamburgers. We met some new friends...a couple visiting from Canada, and a couple celebrating their 1 year anniversary! They are from India but are living in San Jose this year, and we're hoping to meet up with them again. 

Americans do 4th of July in Costa Rica
 We checked out another beach in the area (Playa Langosta), but mostly just hung out here in between World Cup matches. The Costa Ricans cheered hard during their final match against The Netherlands, all the way until the final penalty kick. It was an intense game, but overall, it seems the Ticos are proud of their team for coming out of nowhere, and doing so well. 

On the last night, we finally got a good sunset!
 After three nights in Tamarindo, we piled into our little Toyota Yaris and drove west a couple of hours towards Arenal Volcano. Oh, and much to everyone's delight, we discovered that a previous customer had left a Notorious B.I.G. cd in the rental car :)

Adios from Tamarindo

Comments

  1. NO-NO-NO-NOTORIOUS!! haha thank you for including us on your adventure!! We had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank YOU for coming, and letting us follow along!

      Delete
  2. hahaha the CD left in the car - what a FIND! Also, like how you ran into them immediately upon arriving in town. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder

Thailand tops the charts in my book when it comes to storms. I am not sure if I've lived in a place with more spectacular storms than here. All the curtains are drawn in my bedroom yet slices of lightening are still breaking through. The thunder just passed directly over me. I check the monitor for fear of it waking Elsie up. Seems like the loud shaking would startle a baby! Not yet, though. I am sure as she gets older, she'll become more aware, and thus more afraid.  Railay Beach, Thailand What is it about pouring rain that is so comforting? I absolutely love it. I am not one to complain about a good rain, although this past weekend I may have once or twice. We took our first Thailand vacation, which happened to be Elsie's first trip to the beach. It rained and rained and continued to rain. For the entire Saturday, it never stopped. Ever. There's only so much you can do in a hotel room, with a baby, for an entire day. So of course we strapped her on Jake's ba...

Correcaminos!

I was pretty excited to find out, on my first morning here, that Lindsey (our host sister) is part of a running team, and she immediately told me where to find a track close by. Before flying here, I really had no idea what to expect of the work-out situation in Costa Rica. I have since discovered that more people exercise outside in this country than anywhere else I have lived! Jake and I have been amazed by the number of cyclists and runners that line the highways, eerily close to the traffic.  Starting line Lindsey told me that she had a race coming up in a few weeks, on that first morning. I was interested but quickly realized that it was on the last day of our 2 week vacation. I did not intend to be in good shape during vacation, so I sadly dismissed the idea. Running a race in another country is interesting to me; a unique way to experience the culture. My first (real) race, I ran in Turkey with Lacey. It was an extremely motivating experience, and I want to continua...

Bali

Who doesn't want to go to Bali? It just sounds idyllic! Jake and I decided to go to Bali for our October vacation. About a month beforehand, evacuations were ordered from the government because Mt. Agung is supposed to erupt at any moment. It was deemed safe as long as you stay outside of this 12 kilometer radius. Still, when we arrived in Ubud, we were quite nervous to see the smoke billowing from the top of Agung, from our pool. It certainly didn't look far enough away to be safe during an eruption. Proximity coupled with the roads in Bali had me a bit worried. I heard they were narrow, terrible roads, but I had to see them to believe it. Incredibly narrow and filled with moving cars, parked cars, motorcycles, carts, animals, pedestrians. It was clear we were not going to get anywhere quickly. Beautiful sunset in the rice fields Okay, okay....all that build up for nothing. It didn't erupt! Yet...but it totally will soon. We were definitely nervous, and probably...