I was pretty excited to find out, on my first morning here, that Lindsey (our host sister) is part of a running team, and she immediately told me where to find a track close by. Before flying here, I really had no idea what to expect of the work-out situation in Costa Rica. I have since discovered that more people exercise outside in this country than anywhere else I have lived! Jake and I have been amazed by the number of cyclists and runners that line the highways, eerily close to the traffic.
| Starting line |
Lindsey told me that she had a race coming up in a few weeks, on that first morning. I was interested but quickly realized that it was on the last day of our 2 week vacation. I did not intend to be in good shape during vacation, so I sadly dismissed the idea. Running a race in another country is interesting to me; a unique way to experience the culture. My first (real) race, I ran in Turkey with Lacey. It was an extremely motivating experience, and I want to continually recreate that wherever I live.
| About half way |
We returned home from traveling on the Wednesday before the race. Lindsey then asked me if I wanted to run it, and told me the registration was closing soon. I thought, "Crap...there's no way I'm ready." I ran 3 miles that day, which was the longest I had run in months. Lindsey invited me to run with her the next morning, at 7AM, and we ran to the next town and back, for about 50 minutes. That was the most I'd worked out, probably this whole year!
I ran once more on Friday morning, and took Saturday off, besides a small hike we did up at Poas Volcano. The race was Sunday morning at 7:30, and we left the house at 6. Jake came along, which was wonderful. He saw me off at the beginning and then was cheering along the road at about half way.
My goal was to run it in about an hour, because it was 6.2 miles (12K) and I wasn't in great shape. I hoped I could manage 10 minute miles...and I did!
![]() |
| Race results |

Woohoo! How fun! Likin' those purple shorts you have on a lot! Also, enjoying my pink Nike ones you sent me. Zeynep even told me she liked them this summer! :D
ReplyDeleteAwesome that so many people are running there - even out close by traffic. Eeek, scary!
Delete