Skip to main content

American Summer: The Northeast

JFK: Emily's epic airport pick up
Jake and I have become quite content with our lives in Doha, but that does not prevent us from living for the summers. The nine month build up and anticipation is all a part of the perfection that summer is. We are currently enjoying our mix of America/abroad, family/time away, work/play. We feel pretty lucky that we get to spend two and a half months a year doing whatever we want, wherever we want. Clearly, there is nothing we want more than to spend that time with our families, so we head to the US of A for the entire break.

NYC: Freedom Tower
This summer was one of the longest breaks we have had: 11 weeks, just shy of 3 months. This allowed us to spend part of our time in the Northeast visiting Emily and Bryan, and our east coast friends. We flew from Doha- Dubai- JFK. JFK is not known for being welcoming and friendly, so we were a bit weary about that being our first stop. It turned out to be extremely quick. We never even had to speak to a human being; just a quick stop at a kiosk, a finger scan and a photo, and we were free to roam on American soil. Emily greeted us sporting red, white, and blue. What could be better?! She was a visual representation of our excitement of being back in the country. Then she proceeds to surprise us with a G wagon in the parking lot. Jake was in heaven, as you can imagine. Before pulling out of our parking spot, Jake gave Emily a little surprise of his own when he said, "Hey Emily....we're having a baby!" 


 
New Jersey: Day on the lake, all smiles
Emily and Bryan had their apartment covered in American paraphernalia. We just loved it! Not to mention a big goody basket full of treats. Needless to say, they made us feel right at home, in their new home. It was just lovely to spend time with them in New Jersey, see a bit of the state, see where Emily works, and meet some friends and coworkers. We took a trip into NYC, spent a day on the lake in a pontoon boat (awesome!), and spent a weekend at the Jersey shore. It was perfect!


Jackie and her parents were kind enough to host us in their gorgeous beach front home. When we were working together in Istanbul in 2012, I remember vividly, hearing about her family home being torn apart by Hurricane Sandy. I saw pictures of the entire bottom level filled with sand. Her family is still dealing with the ramifications of that storm, but they have the most beautiful home, sitting right on the beach in Point Pleasant, New Jersey. Fitting name, as it was just perfect, despite the things I have heard about the Jersey Shore. It was a refreshing, relaxing, and just good 'ol American weekend. I left sunburned but with a happy heart. 

Her family's hospitality was generous, which was no surprise, knowing Jackie. This girl met me in a Starbucks in Istanbul, where I burst into tears and poured out my life story. Yes, the first time we met. Ha! She immediately invited me to her home for a gathering with friends, and continued to do so the rest of my time in the 'Bul. We had the privilege of working together, and endured a long commute to and from school each day, which was lovely for me! (I'm not sure she shared the same feelings ;) We spent nearly an hour to and from work every day talking, venting, getting through life in our 20's, living as foreigners in a country we both came to love. 
Jersey Shore: Jackie & Maggie, my Istanbul besties 
Maggie was my dear friend and roommate in Istanbul. I simply cannot say enough kind things about her, so I will stick to thank God I had Maggie in Istanbul. She is, still to this day, one of the best listeners I know. She listens and she remembers. She has a heart of gold and I have learned a great deal from her compassion and grace. She drove from VIRGINIA to the JERSEY SHORE to spend the weekend together. And I couldn't have been any more thrilled about it. I hadn't seen Maggie or Jackie since my wedding in 2013 so I was itching for a fix, and it means the world to me that they both made this weekend happen! Jackie and Maggie were true friends from the start and I am so grateful that these relationships will continue, no matter where we are.

Delaware River: Time with these sweet boys
New Jersey: Love these two
While in New Jersey, Jake and I got to see Nyrie and John and their two sweet boys, Elias and Lucas. I have been visiting Nyrie in New Jersey since our sophomore year of college, where we met and later were roommates. I appreciate my time at Liberty, mostly because of this friendship that was made. I wouldn't even trade it for all my student loans ;) (which are almost gone now!). Nyrie and John live less than an hour from Emily and Bryan, which was quite convenient. We did a hike in the woods followed by a most delicious dinner one day. Another outing was driving to two adorable small towns on the Delaware River, where we could walk from New Jersey into Pennsylvania. We strolled the streets, shopped a little, bought coffee and ice cream, and took in all the American vibes around us, and the good company. These guys are forever friends without a doubt, and I love knowing that, no matter how much time passes in between visits. We also went out for Korean BBQ, which has become a ritual whenever I am in town. Good conversations about life and asking hard questions are the norm when Nyrie and I are together. John and Jake fit in perfectly, and switch over to Cowboys talk when Nyrie and I get boring ;).
New Jersey: Michelle & Nick, WA friends

Michelle was an instant friend of Jake's when he was in grad school in Bellingham. She was in his small cohort of nine or ten, who spent two years together mastering education. As soon as I got to meet her, it was easy to see why they were quickly good friends. Michelle is kind, funny, sarcastic, silly...so incredibly easy to be around. I liked her right away and we were bummed to be rushing off to Costa Rica after meeting so many great people in Bellingham. However, Michelle was off on her own adventure: moving to NY to student teach and be near her fiancé! Nick is equally as lovely to be around, and luckily, she locked her keys in the car, so Nick joined us and we had the chance to catch up with them both over lunch in a fancy area in New Jersey. Michelle teaches in an upper class, posh, community, and it was intriguing to compare similarities and differences to the school and student issues we face in Qatar. Nick is doing his residency currently and was able to teach us a thing or two about deliveries! We shared our pregnancy news with each friend we met along the way.


Massachusetts: 
Courtney, my dear friend from ZA and sister Mandie
Courtney was my instant friend in South Africa. We actually clicked even before we got to South Africa, during our stopover in London. This girl is down to Earth like no other. I love her honesty and openness. She says whatever she wants and is always, always, true to herself and who she is. She is constantly laughing at herself or making jokes, or looking to help out whoever is around her. We have found ways to get together since 2008 in Spain, Washington, and New Jersey, and I am always refreshed by her spirit. She rode her bike across America, enough said. Courtney was in NYC with her boyfriend, Trent, who I have been looking forward to meeting for quite some time. I took the train into the city from Emily and Bryan's, and Jake rode the same train in with me, but headed straight to LaGuardia to fly to Arkansas. This began our week apart, the first in a long time. Courtney and I got straight to it and walked through Times Square into Central Park. It was a perfect summer day and the park was even more glorious than I remember. We rented bikes and road up and around and through the entire thing. Bikes are my happy place, and I have only discovered that in recent years, so it was a perfect afternoon for me. Shake Shack and Schmackary's Cookies only added to it! That evening we set out for Rhode Island, and that was my first time driving through and out of downtown Manhattan! It was shockingly easily, although I had in mind it was going to be impossible. It was only about three hours to Courtney's place in RI, which made for a perfect time to chat, something that comes easily to us. Courtney was kind enough to drive me by Taylor Swift's Rhode Island mansion. I was giddy with excitement! Ha ha and actually dreamed I may catch a glimpse of her. I found enough information online to be able to find her house. It was dark, though, and signs warned of cameras and trespassing, and a dark car sat just on the other side of the gate. So after capturing a photo of a gate in the dark, and getting a glimpse at the home in the distance, it was time to keep moving. We did drive through the small town close by though, and you can bet I did my best to scan each restaurant through the windows. Turns out she was there just a couple of days later celebrating the 4th of July with a large group of big name celebrities. I guess my invite got lost in the mail. From Rhode Island, Courtney drove me about an hour into Massachusetts. Fortunately, Courtney's sister, Mandie, lives about ten minutes from my next Northeastern friend. We had dinner with Mandie, who I had been able to meet and hang out with before in Seattle. She is a bundle of energy and laughs, just like Court. Instant friends, these two are silly, down to Earth, and I wish I saw more of them.




Massachusetts: Sweet Sarah
Courtney dropped me at Sarah's New England home in Bolton. I have been able to visit Sarah four times, I believe, since she moved to the East Coast many years ago. Her and her family now live in a dreamy home in the woods, down a long driveway. Sarah and Sam have three kids, ages three and under, yet their home still feels like a quiet escape! I sat on their covered porch and journaled, read, and took notes on parenting and family (while day dreaming about living in New England). These two speak to each other in the kindest tone, always, and to each of their children the same. I was inspired and challenged by observing this, as tone is not my strong suite (Jake will tell you). 
Massachusetts:
Out on the town with Sarah, Sam, Caleb, Ella, and Oliver



It was so fun to watch Sarah with her three kiddos who are similar in age to myself when she began baby sitting me! How special to still have this relationship in my life! We were able to chat for hours, catching up on the last few years, over coffee and tea and healthy eats. I was finally able to meet her kids and enjoyed watching them play together peacefully. Caleb, Ella, and Oliver love each other and thoroughly enjoyed playing together (besides of course when the little guy would mess up the older two's things ;). But I was so impressed by this! They speak to each other kindly and demonstrate patience at ages 2 and 3! That can only come from watching their parents. Yikes- I have work to do! Ha ha! It was so special to have this time with Sarah and her lovely family, and I am already looking forward to the next visit...or their next visit to Washington! 


Massachusetts: Shelley and I 

Ms. Shelley Beaudoin was lovely enough as usual to drive from Rhode Island to pick me up from Sarah's, with three kids in tow! The Beaudoins have held a special place in my heart since I met them in Arkansas in 2009. I babysat for them when the kids were about 2, 4, 6, and 8, and quickly became friends Jason and Shelley. The kids are now closer to 9, 11, 13, and 15, (ish!) which is just crazy to me! Hanging out with them is a lot like it must be for Sarah to hang out with me...ha ha, time flies! Anyway, I love this family and have been lucky enough to have time with them in Arkansas, Washington, Texas, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. And I will continue to find them wherever they are, although I think are quite content in Rhode Island. How fun to get to witness them all thoroughly enjoying their New England life. At the end of my Northeastern tour I felt like I could move to New England tomorrow! What a beautiful part of our country...I will never turn down an opportunity to head to (or live in?) the Northeast. Shelley, Jason, and the kids, showed me around, fed me lobster, explored the Newport mansions, showed me the coast and the lighthouse, and met my daily ice cream quota ;). They have a beautiful home with a massive backyard where we had a fire under the stars, which is probably my favorite summer activity. It was lovely and my soul was refreshed! For real, these guys are funny and kind, and I can't get enough of 'em. Shelley and Jason are working on their parenting manual that I asked for a copy of. Love and respect for those two and the beautiful family they have created. Until next time...

Rhode Island: Love me a bunch of Beaudoins

I feel complete gratitude for all of these incredible people in my life. They each represent a different time and location in my life, and they all have contributed positively to who I currently am. I will stop before getting to sappy, but a huge Thank You to everyone for squeezing us/keeping us in your lives. Love + Peace




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder

Thailand tops the charts in my book when it comes to storms. I am not sure if I've lived in a place with more spectacular storms than here. All the curtains are drawn in my bedroom yet slices of lightening are still breaking through. The thunder just passed directly over me. I check the monitor for fear of it waking Elsie up. Seems like the loud shaking would startle a baby! Not yet, though. I am sure as she gets older, she'll become more aware, and thus more afraid.  Railay Beach, Thailand What is it about pouring rain that is so comforting? I absolutely love it. I am not one to complain about a good rain, although this past weekend I may have once or twice. We took our first Thailand vacation, which happened to be Elsie's first trip to the beach. It rained and rained and continued to rain. For the entire Saturday, it never stopped. Ever. There's only so much you can do in a hotel room, with a baby, for an entire day. So of course we strapped her on Jake's ba...

Correcaminos!

I was pretty excited to find out, on my first morning here, that Lindsey (our host sister) is part of a running team, and she immediately told me where to find a track close by. Before flying here, I really had no idea what to expect of the work-out situation in Costa Rica. I have since discovered that more people exercise outside in this country than anywhere else I have lived! Jake and I have been amazed by the number of cyclists and runners that line the highways, eerily close to the traffic.  Starting line Lindsey told me that she had a race coming up in a few weeks, on that first morning. I was interested but quickly realized that it was on the last day of our 2 week vacation. I did not intend to be in good shape during vacation, so I sadly dismissed the idea. Running a race in another country is interesting to me; a unique way to experience the culture. My first (real) race, I ran in Turkey with Lacey. It was an extremely motivating experience, and I want to continua...

Bali

Who doesn't want to go to Bali? It just sounds idyllic! Jake and I decided to go to Bali for our October vacation. About a month beforehand, evacuations were ordered from the government because Mt. Agung is supposed to erupt at any moment. It was deemed safe as long as you stay outside of this 12 kilometer radius. Still, when we arrived in Ubud, we were quite nervous to see the smoke billowing from the top of Agung, from our pool. It certainly didn't look far enough away to be safe during an eruption. Proximity coupled with the roads in Bali had me a bit worried. I heard they were narrow, terrible roads, but I had to see them to believe it. Incredibly narrow and filled with moving cars, parked cars, motorcycles, carts, animals, pedestrians. It was clear we were not going to get anywhere quickly. Beautiful sunset in the rice fields Okay, okay....all that build up for nothing. It didn't erupt! Yet...but it totally will soon. We were definitely nervous, and probably...