Skip to main content

Spain + Christmas in Andorra

Airbnb in Barcelona was lovely
Jake and I had two weeks off for winter break and we decided to spend it in Spain, with a trip to the small neighboring country of Andorra. Spain was one of the few European countries Jake had never visited so he wanted to check it off his list. I went to Madrid in 2012 to visit my friend Courtney. It was a great trip, but not long enough, and as soon as you start looking into visiting Spain, you realize just how many cities there are to see. Even after our two week stint there, we are sure to return because we still haven't seen the southern half of the country. Barcelona seemed like the place to go, so we planned our trip around Barcelona and the Catalan region, which is in northeastern Spain. Jake is all about crossing countries off his list and visiting the world's tiniest countries, so he was insistent on a trip to Andorra.


Brittany + Adam touring us around the city
My friend Brittany and her husband Adam are currently living in Germany. Brittany and I met in third grade at 4-H, where we were both showing horses. We go way back....clearly. More so than any other friend I have. I don't believe I am still in touch with anyone from before the third grade. That is twenty years right there! Pretty incredible. Anyway, Brittany and I had messaged a bit about the possibility of meeting up somewhere and they were on board with Spain so it worked out perfectly.


Hilarious evening with Ryan + Anna
We met in Barcelona at our lovely Airbnb. It was an adorable, modern, tiny, place very close to the Sagrada Familia. We had flown through the night so we decided to crash for a bit and shower before venturing out. Adam and Brittany set off and we decided to text and meet up later. Without any plans as to where or when, we ended up walking into a restaurant and finding them there! Of all the restaurants in Barcelona, it was ridiculous that they were in the first one we walked into. We all got a kick out of it and decided that was a pretty good start to the trip. The paella was divine and so was the wine. The remainder of the trip was filled with wonderful wine, pork, and delicious eats. Spain was definitely one of the easiest places we have traveled in terms of finding something good to eat, and quickly. 

Brittany and Adam had been in Barcelona for a few days so they showed us the ropes. We walked past Gaudi's famous works, down to the marina, up and down La Rambla. The weather was lovely...much cooler than Doha, but sunny and refreshing.


Reunited- Met this pair in ZA
That evening Jake and I had plans to meet up with Ryan and Anna. They are friends that we met in 2008 when we were studying in Stellenbosch. Anna is from Ireland and Ryan is from Chicago. They met when we did and have been together since. They recently got engaged, which makes them the third couple from our study abroad that will or has already married. They are both studying in Barcelona, getting their MBA's. They were flying out to Ireland for the holidays, so we were lucky to catch them for an evening for dinner. We met them at a hipster bar in a trendy part of town for drinks. It was absolutely lovely to see them both; they are a riot! We caught up quickly, reviewing where each of them had been for the last 8 years. They had taken turns in Chicago and Ireland, much like Jake and I did in Arkansas and Washington. They actually flew out to our wedding in Washington, which was a huge treat, but of course left us very little time to hang out. After drinks, they took us to a lovely local restaurant where I had a bit too much wine and we dined on favorite Catalan dishes. We reminisced about each of our old friends from our time in South Africa, and talked about our plans for the future. We had such a great time with those two and look forward to bumping into them somewhere else in the world!
I still see the 3rd grade versions of us! ;) My dear friend Brittany

The next morning started with a walking tour through the historic parts of Barcelona. We had a great tour guide and enjoyed the tour....but ending up at one of the churro con chocolate places the guide recommended, was my favorite part. Every chance we got, we were sipping thick hot chocolate, or breaking for beer and wine. The good food in Spain is abundant, and seemed so readily available coming from Doha. 


Jamon Experience- a must when you live in Doha.
We reserved tickets online for the Sagrada Familia, and I am glad we did because lines were long when we arrived. I wasn't expecting much from it, judging by the outside. It was unique and funky, but nothing could have prepared me for the inside. As we made our way in with the crowds, I realized this was different than all the other European churches I have been in a tourist in. The lighting, the windows, the colors, the design...it was overwhelming! I can honestly say I have never been more impressed by a building; it blew me away! I felt like I could have stayed in there for hours. The timing seemed impeccable as the sun was hitting the stained glass windows in the most illuminating way. It was stunning, really. To think that Gaudi designed this building in the 1800's floored me. I was so impressed by this place, and so intrigued by this man. I have also been so intrigued by the number of people I have met who have been to Barcelona but didn't go see it! I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting. It was certainly a highlight of our trip.
Inside the Sagrada Familia- a must see!


Such a treat to spend time with this one.
One evening in Barcelona, Brittany and I left the boys at home with a case of beer and went out to an opera/orchestra/ballet. I was curious as to how they would combine the three of those, as I had never seen it done, but they did and it was entertaining. I could do without the opera, but it was impressive, nonetheless. The show was in the Palau de La Musica Catalana, which is a famous, historic, theater that was worth seeing. Brittany and I enjoyed a night out, sampling the tapas, and watching the Spanish entertainment. The guys met up with us at a restaurant right outside the theater, and we ended another great evening with delicious food and drink. Probably the best of the trip. We laughed hard and loud and I look back with such gratitude at being able to share experiences like that with friends, around the world. I feel so lucky to have old and new friends to make memories with, wherever it is we end up together.


Another of our place, because...well!
After a couple more Starbucks and chocolate croissant runs, and a round of nertz, we said goodbye to Brittany and Adam. They were off to Germany for a day, before heading to Austria on a ski trip with more friends. We found out, though, that we would all be in Switzerland the exact same days in February, on another vacation. What are the chances?! But I'll leave that story for another post...

Jake and I enjoyed our last day in Barcelona...much more than the day we attempted to leave. We had reserved a rental car at the airport so we had to trek back to the airport, which was a struggle itself, only to find that they wouldn't rent us our car because we didn't have international drivers licenses. Of all the places we have rented cars, we have never been asked for one of these, much less required to have one. We left the airport with no car, no plan, and no ride to Andorra, where our Airbnb host was awaiting our arrival. Luckily, the airport transfer bus had free wi fi and I was able to look up buses and trains to Andorra. We found a bus and as soon as we figured out where it left from, we jumped off the airport bus and made our way there. We bought tickets for the next bus out of town, which may have been the last one that evening, if I remember correctly. All this time our host is waiting on us in Andorra, because we had anticipated being there already in our rental car. It was all a bit frustrating and inconvenient, in the way that travel can be...but ended up being lovely. We just didn't know it at the time. 
Chocolate con churros! Whenever we could...

Instead of spending a week in a rental car, paying for gas, tolls, and parking, in busy cities that had very limited parking, we got to ride a nice bus with free wifi, and take two different trains that ended up being one of my favorite parts of the trip! I just loved how peaceful and convenient it was to take trains. We were able to talk, play cards, read, and hang out. It was refreshing and contemplative; I do my best thinking when in between places, whether on a plane or a bus or a train. I love that quiet time in between. So besides that torturous day carrying all our luggage to and from the airport, and all around the city, I am so glad we ended up without a car! But be warned: You need an IDL in Spain!


Sagrada Familia looking up
Andorra was interesting. A tiny little country in the mountains between Spain and France. It is a rich country, and many languages are spoken there, but the official language is Catalan. We stayed in Encamp, at another Airbnb, and the host didn't seem bothered a bit by our late arrival time. The next morning was Christmas Eve and we had been warned that most places would be closed on Christmas so we had decided to spend Christmas day on the slopes. We hadn't brought snow gear with us to Doha, so we set out shopping, which is what you do in Andorra. It is tax free! Hardly anyone was out, and the town has a free "Funibus" that takes you from the valley where we were staying, to the top of the hill where the shops and the funicular is, which gets you on the slopes. We spent the day shopping and were impressed to find plenty of half off sales. Jake found ski pants and a mask and some fancy Oakley goggles. I found ski pants, (which I've never purchased in my life; mine were always hand me downs, so I could justify buying a new pair!) and gloves, and a pair of goggles. We both rented boots, skiis, and poles, and were shocked to hear the total for all the equipment was equivalent to about $30. I had just assumed the prices would be outrageous, like they are at home. It was a lovely surprise to find great deals and no tax in Andorra. Turned out to be the perfect place to go shopping, which is not something either of us usually enjoy doing. 
Christmas Day in Andorra. Skiing the Pyrenees.
Our favorite part of skiing ;)


Hot chocolate outside, on the slopes!
Loved all our time spent on the trains. 
The next day we hit the slopes...well, kind of. There wasn't exactly much snow. We rode the funicular for about 25 minutes before we even saw any! Then we had to ski over a couple peaks to get to any functional ski runs. They were icy and harsh, and it was my first time skiing in 15 years, probably. I felt pretty uncertain of myself and hesitant, but it got better as the day progressed. Jake and I are the perfect ski partners. We decided early on that it was something we both enjoy, but don't need to do often. We are fine with once a year. I mostly go for the scenery...and I guess I don't mind the workout. After a couple runs we look at each other to see if it's too early to recommend drinks at the lodge. We laugh and ski over there for food, our favorite part of the day. Wifi, burgers, and beer, give us the boost we need to ski a few more runs, before heading to another place for hot chocolate. Ha ha. I told you, we are a bit pathetic. There was an outdoor restaurant though; it was so warm outside! I sat in the sun and snow, sipping my hot chocolate. We got in a few more runs before we were okay with being done, and we made the trek back across the mountain to the funicular that took us back to Encamp. I will say that skiing in Andorra was one of the easiest, hassle free experiences I've had. It was a great way to spend Christmas 2015.


A favorite meal of the trip, in Girona.
Planning, budgeting, day dreaming...
That evening we met up with a teacher friend of ours from Doha. She is actually our neighbor in our apartment building here! She is from....where else? Seattle! Renee is great and we have coincidentally been on four of the same trips as her. Our first vacation when we moved to Doha, Renee, Jake and I, both ended up going to Singapore. Last Spring we all ended up in Croatia and Montenegro. In September we were all in Morocco, and without any intention or prior knowledge, we all ended up in Andorra (one of the smallest countries in the world!) on Christmas Day. Renee's daughter was traveling with her so it was great to meet her. She lives in Singapore right now for school, and has travelled almost everywhere, it seems. Renee let Jake drive her badass rental car for a bit, so Jake can cross off driving in Andorra from his list now. ;) We all made dinner at our place, since nothing was open on Christmas day. It was nice to spend time with Renee and her daughter, on Christmas, before heading our separate ways.
Girona.

From Andorra, we took the bus back to Barcelona, where we promptly caught a lovely fast train to Girona. Girona was absolutely lovely. It may have been our favorite town on the trip. It was small enough to get a feel for it, and we were able to spend a few days just meandering the streets and treating ourselves to more delicious food and drink. We found one of the coolest cafes I have ever been to there. A professional cyclist and his wife opened it, and it is just incredibly well done. The food, the ambiance, the coffee, the service...I would go back simply to eat there. The place was called La Fabrica and it is well worth a visit. I included a picture of the avocado toast and fresh orange juice. Girona was lovely...we had nothing to do and nowhere to be so we could relax and do our thing. 


Valencia.
After a few days, we took another train, back through Barcelona, to Valencia. Valencia is on the coast, south of Barcelona. We stayed at a delightful apartment right near the Mercado Central. The host was welcoming, informative, and left us with a bottle of wine and a couple of softball sized oranges, which were a theme throughout Spain. The apartment was impeccable, organized, and fresh. I could have moved in without hesitation! I love when Airbnb works out that way, and was sure to give her a raging review. Valencia provided some welcomed down time, which included a bit too much to drink, too many rounds of nertz, and the new Coldplay album on repeat. 


We ended up on this in Valencia.
The highlight of our time in Valencia, for me, was the bike ride. The weather was glorious...60's and sunny, but still chilly enough in the shade to be refreshing. We rented bikes for about $5 and got to ride through a good portion of the city in a park that used to be a river! The Turia River was converted into a park in the 60's and now contains trails, fountains, ponds, and playgrounds. It provided beautiful and cheap entertainment, and riding bikes may be one of my favorite forgotten things. Each time I have ridden a bike as an adult, I have wondered why I don't do it more often. The bike trip in Valencia put me in my happy place on the last full day of our trip, and the second to last day of 2016. The Spain + Andorra trip provided many opportunities for Jake and I to reflect, plan, and dream about the last year and the ones coming. Not a moment passes that we aren't grateful for these opportunities we have to see, explore, and learn about ourselves and the world through travel. 2015 was the best adventure yet!
A whole lot of paella.

Bike ride selfie.
Whole lot of nertz action. 
One more from Sagrada Familia. 




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder

Thailand tops the charts in my book when it comes to storms. I am not sure if I've lived in a place with more spectacular storms than here. All the curtains are drawn in my bedroom yet slices of lightening are still breaking through. The thunder just passed directly over me. I check the monitor for fear of it waking Elsie up. Seems like the loud shaking would startle a baby! Not yet, though. I am sure as she gets older, she'll become more aware, and thus more afraid.  Railay Beach, Thailand What is it about pouring rain that is so comforting? I absolutely love it. I am not one to complain about a good rain, although this past weekend I may have once or twice. We took our first Thailand vacation, which happened to be Elsie's first trip to the beach. It rained and rained and continued to rain. For the entire Saturday, it never stopped. Ever. There's only so much you can do in a hotel room, with a baby, for an entire day. So of course we strapped her on Jake's ba...

Correcaminos!

I was pretty excited to find out, on my first morning here, that Lindsey (our host sister) is part of a running team, and she immediately told me where to find a track close by. Before flying here, I really had no idea what to expect of the work-out situation in Costa Rica. I have since discovered that more people exercise outside in this country than anywhere else I have lived! Jake and I have been amazed by the number of cyclists and runners that line the highways, eerily close to the traffic.  Starting line Lindsey told me that she had a race coming up in a few weeks, on that first morning. I was interested but quickly realized that it was on the last day of our 2 week vacation. I did not intend to be in good shape during vacation, so I sadly dismissed the idea. Running a race in another country is interesting to me; a unique way to experience the culture. My first (real) race, I ran in Turkey with Lacey. It was an extremely motivating experience, and I want to continua...

Bali

Who doesn't want to go to Bali? It just sounds idyllic! Jake and I decided to go to Bali for our October vacation. About a month beforehand, evacuations were ordered from the government because Mt. Agung is supposed to erupt at any moment. It was deemed safe as long as you stay outside of this 12 kilometer radius. Still, when we arrived in Ubud, we were quite nervous to see the smoke billowing from the top of Agung, from our pool. It certainly didn't look far enough away to be safe during an eruption. Proximity coupled with the roads in Bali had me a bit worried. I heard they were narrow, terrible roads, but I had to see them to believe it. Incredibly narrow and filled with moving cars, parked cars, motorcycles, carts, animals, pedestrians. It was clear we were not going to get anywhere quickly. Beautiful sunset in the rice fields Okay, okay....all that build up for nothing. It didn't erupt! Yet...but it totally will soon. We were definitely nervous, and probably...