Skip to main content

A Week In Doha

I had so many things to share after the first day, that I was certain I would blog immediately. Here I am, on the eve of our first solid week in Doha, and I am forcing myself to jot some things down, mostly for my own memory. I am going to blame the jet lag for the lack of posting previously. I saw plenty of post-worthy things, but have been in a groggy fog since arriving. We left the states on a Tuesday morning, and arrived here on a Wednesday evening, without ever really having slept. I suppose that is why they request that the new teachers arrive August 15th, not August 27th. We started our first full week of orientation on Sunday, the 31st. However, the morning after we arrived we had an 8:30am date at our school, and haven't really stopped since. During the weekend (which is Friday and Saturday here) the school had organized events and trips for us to attend. I am glad we did because that got us out and about seeing things and meeting the other new teachers. However, we certainly were not our best selves during those days. Actually, last night was my first sleep! First full sleep that is. I have been up every night from about 2-5am, until last night, thank God! I felt such a difference waking up this morning, and this has certainly been my best day. Is that energy I feel? Something like it. I was beginning to forget I could feel it. I must be getting old because I do not recall ever having such a difficult time with jet lag. Let's hope I am nearing the end of it...

Qatar. Woah. I am not sure anything could have prepared us for this. I mean, we knew it was rich and hot...but how rich and how hot, I am not sure we fully grasped. I keep looking around waiting for someone to say, "You've been punked, fool!" From our hotel (current/temporary residence), to Doha, to the school, to the museums, to the convention center, stuff is nice. I am not sure how else to say it. We feel like spoiled little rich kids, but I am assuming that will wear off? My biggest fear is getting used to all of this though. The helpers, workers, people lifting everything you touch...

So those were our first impressions: fancy. 

As far as the weather, well, it is like we expected. I just didn't know what 110 degrees would feel like. Now I do. Basically, you (by you I mean we) walk from the hotel to the car, and from the car to the school, and that is it. It seems to be unheard of to do anything else, even something as simple as walking down the street. It is just too hot. The good news is...winter is approaching! I am not sure that I have ever said that last sentence before, but we are sure looking forward to it! 

Forecast
Our school is big and beautiful, and abounding in resources. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of books, manipulative, and resources that have never even been opened. There are MAC computer labs, iPads, cameras for children, smart boards in each room, and multiple prayer rooms. We are still in the processing of setting up our rooms and gathering all our materials, but there is certainly no shortage of resources at our fingertips. I feel strange saying that as a teacher. It is such a huge concern so many other places.

We are living in a hotel until our housing is ready, which could be any time. No one seems to know. We certainly cannot complain about having too much space, even though Jake is unhappy about having to walk so far to each room ;) It is certainly different for us. Three bedrooms and three bathrooms, after our cozy little place in Bellingham, and living with a family and 9 people all summer in Costa Rica. 

I have oodles more to say but it is 8pm, and I am afraid this is when we get ready for bed. 4:45am alarm comes quick! Next post I really want to include some more opposites of Costa Rica and Qatar. The list seems endless and I mentally add to it each day. For now- this will do! Good night! 

Doha Airport- Opened this May

Our hotel/home

Living/Dining Room

All our luggage

The skyline and construction- typical

Pretty self explanatory, eh?

Katara Village

My first trip to the mall for groceries

Islamic Cultural Center

Jake & Qatar

Museum selfie, yep

Desert

School Orientation
*I haven't taken my camera out with me yet, so these are just some random iphone captures from the week

Comments

  1. Yay, finally have this book marked on my computers web browser (started using google chrome now instead of safari). Will be following closely now - keep sharing stories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thunder

Thailand tops the charts in my book when it comes to storms. I am not sure if I've lived in a place with more spectacular storms than here. All the curtains are drawn in my bedroom yet slices of lightening are still breaking through. The thunder just passed directly over me. I check the monitor for fear of it waking Elsie up. Seems like the loud shaking would startle a baby! Not yet, though. I am sure as she gets older, she'll become more aware, and thus more afraid.  Railay Beach, Thailand What is it about pouring rain that is so comforting? I absolutely love it. I am not one to complain about a good rain, although this past weekend I may have once or twice. We took our first Thailand vacation, which happened to be Elsie's first trip to the beach. It rained and rained and continued to rain. For the entire Saturday, it never stopped. Ever. There's only so much you can do in a hotel room, with a baby, for an entire day. So of course we strapped her on Jake's ba...

Correcaminos!

I was pretty excited to find out, on my first morning here, that Lindsey (our host sister) is part of a running team, and she immediately told me where to find a track close by. Before flying here, I really had no idea what to expect of the work-out situation in Costa Rica. I have since discovered that more people exercise outside in this country than anywhere else I have lived! Jake and I have been amazed by the number of cyclists and runners that line the highways, eerily close to the traffic.  Starting line Lindsey told me that she had a race coming up in a few weeks, on that first morning. I was interested but quickly realized that it was on the last day of our 2 week vacation. I did not intend to be in good shape during vacation, so I sadly dismissed the idea. Running a race in another country is interesting to me; a unique way to experience the culture. My first (real) race, I ran in Turkey with Lacey. It was an extremely motivating experience, and I want to continua...

Bali

Who doesn't want to go to Bali? It just sounds idyllic! Jake and I decided to go to Bali for our October vacation. About a month beforehand, evacuations were ordered from the government because Mt. Agung is supposed to erupt at any moment. It was deemed safe as long as you stay outside of this 12 kilometer radius. Still, when we arrived in Ubud, we were quite nervous to see the smoke billowing from the top of Agung, from our pool. It certainly didn't look far enough away to be safe during an eruption. Proximity coupled with the roads in Bali had me a bit worried. I heard they were narrow, terrible roads, but I had to see them to believe it. Incredibly narrow and filled with moving cars, parked cars, motorcycles, carts, animals, pedestrians. It was clear we were not going to get anywhere quickly. Beautiful sunset in the rice fields Okay, okay....all that build up for nothing. It didn't erupt! Yet...but it totally will soon. We were definitely nervous, and probably...