I have been in Costa Rica now, for over a week. That makes more than 2 weeks for Jake. I had trouble sending pictures of our temporary home via email, so this is my attempt to showcase our 2 1/2 month stay in Tres Rios. For starters, this is the home we are staying in:
 |
| La Casa de Emilia |
Emilia has been hosting students here for 25 years! I am impressed by this woman who raised 4 kids by herself, and the creative way she chose to stay home while making a living for her family, at the same time. I do not have a picture of Emilia yet, but I will!
This is Tres Rios on a map:
 |
| You can see its location in relation to San Jose, the capitol city |
 |
| Tres Rios in relation to the whole of Costa Rica |
Flying into San Jose provided fabulous views of the dense jungles, mountains, and volcanos. It is unlike any landscape I have seen from the plane before. A volcano was right outside my window!
 |
| Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal |
 |
View from the plane
Tres Rios, I'm sure you can gather, means Three Rivers. The population is around 10,000 people. It is in Central Standard Time, which means I am only 1 hour ahead of the Washingtonians, and 1 hour behind the Texans.
It is about a 10 minute walk to our bus stop that takes us into San Jose, or just down the street to Walmart, Denny's, McDonalds, etc. Our bus stop is at the town's cemetery. Every town seems to have one right in the middle of it.
 |
View from the bus stop
The highlight of my first week or so here, is that there is a track close by for running! I had no idea what the work-out situation would be like here. On my first morning, at breakfast, one of the daughters who lives here, had just finished running a race. She directed me to the nearby track and said it is safe as long as I don't go after 4:30pm. So, I have used that 4 times and am trying to get back into running shape. |
|
 |
The track
 |
View on my walk to the track
 |
View on my walk to the track
 |
View on my walk to the track
 |
The basketball courts could use a little love
That's a wrap for now. I will post some pictures of the interior where we live the next time around. Tomorrow we head to the coast for the first time, with Jeanne & Emily! |
|
|
|
|
Comments
Post a Comment